Monday, April 6, 2009

Yogurt Review #4 - Yogi berry


Every yogurt shop has its successes and shortcomings, but Cleveland Park’s Yogi berry really misses the mark. From high prices to hit or miss yogurt to bizarre unappetizing concoctions, I left Yogi berry with little desire to return.

Arriving in DC this past winter, Yogi berry is a locally owned chain with three locations. Their Cleveland Park location is a beautiful, large open store with colors and accents that could just as easily adorn a specialty cake, creating a modern and really intriguing shop; not surprisingly bringing in many young families. The obsessively clean shop has plenty of seating and space along one wall and a long wrap-around counter across the other, which unfortunately logistically requires you to order prior to seeing the toppings.


The topping counter with registers around the corner

Part of the seating area

The menu includes frozen yogurt, smoothies, and their signature creation the “shaved ice.” Their yogurt flavors: berry, chocolate, green tea and original tart, are hit or miss. The berry flavor is made for strawberry lovers since that is the main component here, unlike their competitors who use raspberry as the base. While it was unique, the strawberries didn’t give enough of the tartness that raspberries provide. But that wasn’t the end of the tart woes. Their chocolate flavor wasn’t even mildly tart, actually it tasted exactly like traditional frozen yogurt. The chocolate was flavorful, creamy and tasty - all valuable qualities, but it was hardly tart yogurt. On the other hand, their original tart easily passed the test, both creamier and tangier than most competitors. Also good, was the green tea flavor, more flavorful than Tangy Sweet’s version but lighter than Cali Yogurt’s. Yet it was quickly dampened by the asterisk signifying that green tea would cost $1 more (across the board) because it was a “specialty flavor.” For $2.95, $3.95 and $6.45 already without tax, I didn’t feel compelled to pay more for green tea, especially when other shops keep their prices uniform.

A plain small berry yogurt

But the real disappointment of Yogi berry was their signature concoction, the shaved ice ($7.50-$8.15). Imagine 8oz of tart yogurt topped with mochi and three toppings of your choice, all on top of shaved ice that’s been dyed with either strawberry or blueberry syrup. Yes, it was enormous. No, it wasn’t even mildly good. The syrup was so nauseatingly sweet, like an awful kids juice-box, that I found myself trying to scoop the toppings on to the yogurt to save them. Whatever benefit the shaved ice was supposed to provide, it didn’t.

The chocolate yogurt with mochi, pineapple, mango and oreos on top of strawberry shaved ice. It's much bigger than it looks here.

Fortunately I was able to save most of the toppings, and it was a good thing, because they were the highlight here. Besides not being able to see them prior to ordering, their topping selection was more than adequate. Highlights included four different types of morsels: chocolate, cappuccino, butterscotch and yogurt; a few healthy snacks like raisins, granola and almonds; a small but high-quality fresh fruit selection; and maybe the best mochi I’ve had yet - much lighter in texture than their rivals. Their portions were generous and generally worth the money, one for $.95 and combos with three toppings that cost less for larger yogurts, although the combos are only available for the 8oz and 13oz sizes, making the 5oz with three toppings one expensive item.

There's really not THAT much you can judge and differentiate yogurt shops on, tart yogurt is tart yogurt. But at Yogi berry nearly every area had something slightly (or really) off. Being the only yogurt shop in the vicinity, Yogi berry’s ease might outweigh the trek down to Adams Morgan if you need your tart yogurt fill. If you're heading there, the decor will amuse and impress you and the classic tart with mochi is on par with its DC rivals. But for those who have the choice, Yogi berry’s simply not worth the trip.


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that yogurt had to be tart. Isn't it a matter of opinion on what tastes good? They cater to a wide variety of customers. I"m willing to pay more for green tea since it's the best that I've ever had. Do you know the recipe for berry because I don't taste more strawberry then any other berrry. The only thing I can agree on you with is the counter being weird, but that won't stop me. I'd walk for miles in the snow for that place it's that GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Yogi Berry in Rockville this weekend. I was pretty happy with what I got (5oz original with mango and granola). I completely agree that the counter setup is strange, but I like this place enough to substitute for Sweet Green's yogurt when I don't feel like going into DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried the shaved ice, and it's not that bad of a concoction. It is a bit large, but there are displays to show customers the cup sizes. I know when I went there and I asked, the server warned me that it was really big, so I just got one with my friends and we shared. It was pretty good to me....

    Could you explain how the shaved ice is Yogiberry's signature product? I've seen plenty of dessert places with a shaved ice dessert... I thought that their signature product was just the yogurt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couple thoughts in response:

    It's not that yogurt has to be tart, plenty of ice cream shops serve regular frozen yogurt and its delicious, but that's a different product. It's fine if Yogi berry's chocolate yogurt is traditional frozen yogurt, but then they should make that clear on their menu or when you order. As it is now, if you're ordering chocolate than you're expecting tart chocolate yogurt, and that isn't what you receive.

    As for the berry, the manager confirmed that it's predominantly strawberries but it includes a few other berries too. The strawberry taste jumped out when I had it but you can also see it's dominance in the yogurt's color too (pic above). Try the berry flavor at Tangy Sweet or Caliyogurt and you'll see a difference in color and flavor where raspberry is the predominant berry.

    I'm torn on the green tea cost issue but I definitely see your point. I think it bothered me on my trips because the rest of their operation and yogurt just wasn't great so I felt nickle-and-dimed having to pay extra for the one flavor I really enjoyed. On the other hand, I just wrote a pretty glowing review of Caliyogurt and they charge extra for all the flavors that aren't original tart. So its tough but I hear you there.

    As for the distance issue, I completely understand where you're coming from. This isn't like an anniversary dinner, it's basic dessert. Plus at the end of the day, there's not THAT big of a difference between any of them.

    Have either of you tried the shaved ice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think yogi berry has the best yogurt in the dmv.. the price are high cause there yogurt is better and diffrent from everyones!!! I dont car i go 3 to 4 times a week! And all the other comments are irrlevant cause u see in the pictures all the customers sitting in there enjoying there yogurt! YOGI BERRY RULESSSSS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yogi Berry is nothing compared to a grocery store purchased case of original yogurt. Why pay extra for something you can get at the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete