Monday, April 13, 2009

Thai Restaurant Week

I didn't post the last week and I probably should've. With terrible passover food on my mind I could've easily written about it, yet I found it difficult/pointless in writing an entire post around "matzoh sucks, eat red meat instead." I think any self-respecting passover-keeping eater already knew that eschewing matzoh and focusing on meat and vegetables is the way to survive.

And I probably should've written about the Top Chef Masters announcement last week, which essentially created a celebrity chef themed Top Chef show. Not surprisingly, they included zero DC chefs and only one mid-Atlantic chef, from Alma de Cuba in Philly. The truth is there are a whole group of DC-area chefs that easily could've made the cut but it's not worth going into who and why... hence I didn't write.

But here's something worth posting: this is a good week for food in DC - it's Thai restaurant week! The Thai embassy organized their second annual celebration of Songkran, the Thai New Year. That means participating thai restaurants have deals all week. Deals vary between restaurants but if you are in the mood for Thai food (who isn't in the mood for pad thai?) this is a good time for it. 

The list of participating restaurants is here, if you try any let me know your experience. 

I'll be posting a few later this week. Coming posts include: the recently opened Bourbon Steak, Palena, one or two yogurt shops and a recipe or two. 

2 comments:

  1. I disagree about eschewing matzoh for red meat. Lotsa good options: matzoh pizza, matzoh brei, PB & J on matzoh . . . just to name a few :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my problem with that. None of them are as good or better with matzoh than with their normal bread product, and that's how I judge whether they're worth eating or not during passover.

    Matzoh pizza is terrible compared to real pizza, same for PB&J on matzoh compared to PB&J with bread, and matzoh brei is at least it's own creation, but when compared to it's most similar food, french toast, it pales in comparison also.

    ReplyDelete