Monday, March 23, 2009

My kind of bracket


The people at ESPN have done it again. In the spirit of March Madness, ESPN.com writer Paul Lukas created his own tournament - of meat. The tourney includes a bracket of 64 different types of meat facing off against one another to crown the champion of meat. His four regions? Beef, pork, sausage and miscellaneous. 


I'm not going to lie and tell you I agreed with every ranking and pick he made, but do you think I'd attack a man that made a bracket of meat?? I'd likelier start his fan club.

But here are five things (both good and bad) I couldn't help but notice: 
1. Hanger steak deserves considerably better than the 13-seed in the beef region. It might not be well known but on strict flavor there might not be a better cut out there. 

2. Bacon's great but let's be honest, it's not the single best pig product. I'd sooner take a roast suckling pig or a sandwich of cured Italian meats in a heartbeat... Taylor Gourmet anyone?

3. A whole roasted chicken didn't make the list? That's practically the only type of chicken I truly love, besides chicken tails... cue #4 

4. Chicken tails/butt making the final four was an incredibly bold and wise move. Try it sometime and you'll understand. To mirror the Washington Post's tag: If you haven't had it, you haven't had it.  

5. ESPN/Paul Lukas = Genius

Speaking of roast chickens... a new recipe post will be out Wednesday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment