Monday, February 2, 2009

Teaism: Relaxed and simple brunch


I had a great simple brunch today, and I’m really not a brunch guy. I know, everyone and their mother has a bizarre fanatical addiction with breakfast foods and the idea of brunch, but it just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe it’s because breakfast is mostly made up of grains with only a few protein (red meat) selections, whereas lunch and dinner are the opposite. Maybe it’s because I don’t like to be bombarded with food early in the day, who knows.

Nevertheless, I had a really good experience today, at Teaism. I wasn’t looking for an expensive or necessarily enormous brunch and Teaism was a great alternative from the normal restaurant brunch fare.

Like their normal lunch and tea menus, brunch is Asian inspired. With that said, it’s diverse enough that you can find classics like French toast, eggs, and oatmeal. Plus there are a whole slew of cool teas and drinks, ie ginger limeade. And it’s cheap.

I had two slices of the French toast ($8), which came with strawberries, powdered sugar and syrup. The toast was extra crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside. It took a little work to cut through but was well worth each bite. Often it’s served with pears instead of strawberries, my preference, but any fresh fruit would do the job.



French toast with strawberries

My guest ordered cilantro eggs with smoked salmon ($8). Usually I’m hesitant to get smoked salmon outside of Jewish delis but the salmon here passed the test with flying colors. The cilantro eggs were light and fluffy while the salmon was fresh, brightly colored, and salty. The salmon added a ton of flavor and color to the dish.

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon

To drink we had the ginger limeade, which was incredibly strong, and the iced Morroccan mint green tea. The tea list is expansive (to say the least) and there were also cool fruit drinks, like mango juice. The only drink complaint was that for brunch we couldn’t order a soda or even coffee (!) but I moved on rather quickly.

The ambience is both Asian and homey; the food can be either unique or classic, but always satisfying; and the prices are always great. For a non-traditional brunch, Teaism is a great option.


Teaism Dupont Circle
2009 R St. NW
Washington, DC 20009


No comments:

Post a Comment