Saturday, July 4, 2009

Read Meat Returns

Happy Independence Day everyone! 

I've taken about two months off from the blog to get my feet set in my new job, but as of this 4th of July, I'm resuming my writing at Read Meat. 

I envision Read Meat to be slightly different from how it was a few months ago. The style of writing (casual/in my voice) will likely stay the same, but topics will be slightly altered. It will still include some restaurant reviews, but there will be a greater focus on cooking - recipes, tips, stories of success/disaster (expect more of the latter) and any other number of things I pick up cooking and eating. 

In this light, a lot of the writing will be focused on self-teaching oneself how to cook and eat. I know, everyone should be oh so proud when you learn to eat! But what I mean here is learning a palette for how foods should taste, what flavors work well together, how to make those restaurant quality dishes and the list goes on... 

As someone that's done both on my own (Not that my mother wasn't a good cook, I just never took an interest in cooking until I was in college), I've learned to cook and eat through a number of mediums - Food TV, the internet, magazines, travel and more. So a lot of the posts (recipes or otherwise) will come from tips and tools I've picked up from shows those similar mediums. You'd be shocked just how much you can learn about food from just an hour of Cook's Country or Jacques Pepin. 

So with all that in mind, I'm doing a good bit of cooking today for the 4th. I set the menu and will be cooking for my friend Todd's party tonight,  with the caveat that all food had to be finger foods. Everything has to be prepared on the grill, which is somewhat foreign to me, but I'm excited nonetheless and will be posting recipes, pictures and more on the blog. 

Here's what the menu looks like now:

Roasted Garlic hummus with a vegetable spread and baked pita bread. 

Mini Choripan (Argentinian Hot Dog) 
Mini Burgers with a Sharp Cheddar
Short Ribs and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on Sourdough with red onions

And my friend Anne is making the dessert, mini cupcakes with red, white and blue icing (Duh), which I'm sure will be delicious. 

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment